Tuesday, September 13, 2016

2016 Archery Deer

Sunday morning Chris, K and I headed up to where we camped at to deer hunt. Our plan was to hike in for a little bit. See what it was looking like in there and depending on what we found drive the 'long way' home through Hardware area and road hunt.
We got there about 20 minutes before it was light enough to walk in.
We napped for a few minutes in the truck (we'd left our house at 430 that morning) got packed up and headed in. We hiked around for 3 miles and were on our way back to the truck. We had saw some sign but again lacking deer like we normally see. We weren't even seeing does. We were pretty bummed at the lack of deer we have seen this year. Kennedy was teasing me and totally joining team Dad saying how I was an animal hog and since I'd already shot one I shouldn't be going after a deer, I needed to let Daddy shoot a deer.  We were laughing and walking back to the truck with Chris leading, me in the middle and K behind me. All of a sudden I saw a deer standing starring at me. I froze and K stopped. I told Chris range it for me. My whole goal this year was to shoot a 3 point or bigger. Im not a horn hunter and I wont pass up good meat but the first few weeks of the hunt I try and hold out for bigger older deer.  After the first 3 weeks its free for all. 
I asked Chris how far it was as I knocked an arrow. He couldnt see what I was talking about. I told him there was a buck right there starring at me. Right down an alley way with a perfect clear shot at it. It was facing me and frozen solid. Chris still couldnt see the deer. There was a tree in the way. I didnt want to move and spook it so I slowly pulled out my rangefinder and it ranged at 45 yards. I could see its antlers were higher than its ears. It still stayed frozen starring at me. The adrenaline was going. I couldnt pass this up. It was a big enough bodied buck.. it was just standing there.. if I let it go I might not get another shot at a deer all year. I figured what the hell! I know I can make the shot. A front facing shot isnt a preferred archery shot BUT Ive studied enough to know where my anatomy on a deer is. I aimed just a little lower on the chest than center and slightly to the left side so I wouldn't hit the sternum and would go into the vitals. I let my arrow fly and it flew true!
It went right into the chest and the deer took a few bounds and started stumbling down the hill. I knew it was a good shot. It ran a little bit (straight down hill and actually towards the truck) we heard it crash once and knew it was done. We walked over to where I shot at and sat for a little bit. We couldnt hear any noise below and found a GOOD blood trail. I knew my hit was solid even though my arrow stayed in its chest. Sometimes when the arrow stays its harder to get a good blood trail. This trail I had no doubt I had a dead deer.
We found a spot to glass about 100 yards from where it was shot at. Chris quickly found the deer laying down across an old road thats in there. It was 102 yards from us. We sat and watched it. The deer was almost dead. It gave a final heave and head toss and it was done. We still sat and watched it for a few minutes to make sure. Kennedy was so excited to get to see and watch the deer. 
 I walked down to it about 20 minutes after I shot it (and about 10 minutes after it gave its final heave) and it was dead dead. 
 Kennedy was so excited. She keeps asking when she gets to shoot a deer.



 The best part is it ran down hill towards the truck... and right across the road we walk in on. It was about 100 yards from the truck! She insisted on helping drag it. I carried our bows.

No comments: