Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Turkey Hunting

This is Kennedys first year hunting and we decided to start her out with something semi easy like turkey hunting. Opening morning they got on a bunch of turkeys. Chris had her several times at 10 yards from a decent tom and she just wouldnt pull the trigger. She was worried because her gun would kick. That morning started off bad lol. She woke up weepy and whinny, plus she didnt want to not go to school because they were having a party (she was only missing like the first hour and the party was later) It was quite and adventure for them. After a pep talk with mom on the phone she was ready to shoot one but she didnt get another chance after that!
 Mom and Kennedy went out the next day to the same spot. We had  horrible winds and no birds. We did see a little buck who was already getting some branches.

 That place was a bust so we went to another spot I always have some decent luck.. 
We were sitting in the Jeep and Kennedy said "Mom let me borrow your binoculars. I think I see some elk" which is usually what she says when she just wants to use them. I said "You dont see any elk... we are way too low" So I turned and looked out her window and there were a TON of elk. I couldn't believe it and they were so low!!



 There were probably 50 elk broken up into different herds all over.





 We didnt find any birds. The weather hasnt been warm enough for them to really be talking.
The 3 of us went out later that day


  I went out the next day by myself to a fail safe spot I always go.. and I saw some but they were in private land.




 We all went out again that same night. Kennedy was READY to shoot one. She was determined now and realized how lucky she was to get that opportunity to shoot opening morning and really was kicking herself for not. She didnt want to stop for the night until the sun went down. She was leading us all over the mountain and wanting to lead the trail.

Hopefully we will be able to get her on a turkey this year

No comments: