Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Perry Canyon Fire

Sunday night I was laying in bed and Chris had just turned off the shower water when we were paged to wash down from a traffic accident. He left and I stayed since Kennedy was in bed asleep. JP was working in dispatch that night and normally when she works with Nickie all hell breaks loose. She had text me and said how sorry and disappointed she was that a wash down is the best she could give us for the night. A few minutes later she texts me and says just for you its coming. I turned my pager to scan and heard a big brush fire being paged in Perry. Brigham is Perrys initial fire response and we are their 1st call for mutual aid. It sounded big so I called my mom to see if she was still awake and would come hang out with K. Luckily she was home and awake! Shes used to these calls lol. Chris and them weren't even back to the station yet from the previous call and headed that way. Willard wasn't even paged, they just told us to head that way and we sent 12 people and 5 apparatus...and remember we are a volunteer dept. 
I was in a brush truck by myself. My assignment was to pick up one of our members on the side of the road where the engine was and go to 2nd bench above the fire and start putting it out. We had 3 brush trucks on the 2nd bench.
This picture was taken from the Box Elder News Journal Facebook page. If you look close on the top right corner you can see our brush trucks right above the fire.
My first assignment was running the pump. Chris headed down with 2 others and a hose line. This is him just cresting the top of the hill headed to the fire.
 From there I had to hike down the mountain to take down more hose line. The 2 rolls I took down still werent enough after a few minutes so as we were waiting for more to be hiked down to us I took this picture of Chris. I love it.
We stopped the entire south and south east ends of the fire and worked our way down clear to almost the canal road where Brigham Fire was at. 
It really was a fun night. Considering the size and how it was moving we got it stopped pretty quickly. It could have been a lot worse! We were paged just before 10pm and got back to the station at 2 am. The next morning as it was POURING RAIN when we were coming back from Brigham I stopped to get a picture of how big it actually was. It ended up being just over 18 acres. Chris had to take the GPS and walk the entire perimeter of the fire once it was out. You can see the one spot where the fire isnt burned evenly at the top as the rest. Thats where we started in the little draw to the left of it and took our lines clear down and putting out fire to the whole right side. 
 I never get why they make wildland shirts yellow lol!

No comments: