Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Pocatello Valley Fire

Monday was my day off. I had a whole big list of stuff to get done when the pagers went off for a grass fire on I84 near Pocatello Valley. Its not Willards response are but its Box Elder County Fires. Kennedy and I were just finishing up a few things when I got a call that I needed to take the tender out there and my mom was coming to get K. I had to go get the tender from where it had just finished being fixed at, take it to the hangar and fill it with water.  I was so excited to get to drive it to a fire and one that wasn't super far away (you cant go very fast). My head comes to the bottom of the door when Im standing next to it! By the time we got it all put back together and filled with water my dad had called and said they had plenty of water, just bring the brush truck out. 

So I headed out there in the brush truck. This was a picture from the news. There was an older abandoned cabin, two grain silos and a shed on the property that caught on fire. 
By the time I got there they had it contained. We had to GPS it. Part of it we were able to drive the other half I had to walk. You have to take a GPS all around the perimeter and then calculate it into acres



I had to walk all around this edge and down into the ravine and out the other side. It was hot. 97 degrees with about a 50 mph head wind into my face blowing layers of sand all over!
I love the contrast in this picture




We were lucky and it wasnt a very clean burn
Where the buildings were

There was a lot of heat on the ground. We put down foam to help stop the heat from forming. It gets down into the cracks better than water and is longer lasting.
I know youre thinking why are you wasting your efforts when its obviously burned good.
Well where we are spraying is a basement. Full of heat. The embers sit and smolder for a while. Then the wind kicks up and blows hot embers to where the fire hasnt burned.. and then you have a new fire starting







No comments: