Thursday, December 1, 2016

Trooper #395 Ellsworths Viewing and Funeral


 Like I'd said earlier we spent WAY too much time in funeral clothes this weekend. I hope we dont have to dress up again for that for a long time.  
Trooper Ellsworth was a Box Elder trooper who was accidentally hit and killed while working last week. He had been in Box Elder for 7 years. He ran a good majority of our calls with us on the freeway and highway. His viewing was Tuesday night at the Stake Center in South Willard. Since it was in our area it was our responsibility to help out and show our respects. 
We had the entry and the highway lined with 300+ flags thanks to individuals who let us borrow them and wards in the area.  
We also brought Ladder 51 and hung our flag from it with a signed Thin Blue Line flag below.
 This is the entry to the Stake Center
 A guy who works with one of our department members made these HUGE metal signs and stands. He is donating one to the family, one to the office and one to someone else. He put a massive amount of time and work into this and it was beautiful! 
My sister wanted a picture of me in my dress outfit lol. We had to be set up and ready for when the body came in at about 3pm and then as they set up the center  for the funeral and when the wife came in. For his body, the family and his wife we were all lined up on the entry way at attention.
 South entry to the Stake Center

 I worked 8 hours that morning and was able to flex 4 hours of holiday time to go help our department set up everything. I was starving after we were all ready and thankfully our dept had a compartment of the engine full of chips, cookies and sandwiches. I hurried and hid on the side of the engine and stuffed my face.
 Our ladder looked so good. They even ran blue lights along the bottom.
 Freezing in my dress clothes in the brush truck. 
 The entry had the Patriot Guard holding flags the ENTIRE time

 We had assignments to be posted at different entry's for traffic control and in case there were accidents. We parked behind the Troopers to run block for them and have their back.
 After the traffic slowed down we were supposed to be in turnouts and our hi vis vests at the entry. It was freezing out!




 I found out my turnout boots were still wet inside after a day and a half on the boot dryer. As soon as I put my feet in SQUISH came the water. So I stood outside in wet boots for a few hours. I might have lost a few toes. We lined up to stand at attention and salute when the body came past. It took a while and we also stood there at attention while all the family and people left the viewing. We lined both sides of the road.
The empty spot in this line is where I was standing
 Everyone passed through and left about 9:30. Then it was time to pick up flags. We put on our lights and had a great pickup crew. Everyone pitched in.









 Then we had to take all the flags back to our city hall and sort them.


 A few of us who didnt get to sign the flag prior got to sign it that night. We kept it until it went to the funeral.

 We finished up at the station at almost 11pm. 
We crashed that night and the next morning I was working a dispatching shift at Box Elder. I have never worked there before but I know 90% of the dispatchers, a good idea of the response areas and officers/fire departments so I volunteered to fill in while they let dispatchers go to the funeral. It was quite an experience. Its a lot different being a smaller center. They are a lot closer to their officers and have a lot more interaction. They are in the same complex as the Sheriffs office and jail. The jail brought us lunch and it was really good!
 PLUS I got to dispatch with my favoritest JP and Nikki King!
It was a really great experience to get to volunteer to go help them out. I stayed there until their shift coverage came back from the funeral. It took  A LOT longer than they planned but that was ok!

No comments: