Thursday, December 1, 2016

Wading on the Freeway

Monday I needed to go to Walmart for groceries. It was a fabulous BLIZZARD that morning so I waited to even shower. I knew we were going to get sent out on the freeway for a wreck during the commute. I waited and nothing came in so I got ready and headed into town. Just as I walked in the store and put something in my cart the page went off for an accident that needed extrication at 10am. So I hurried and left the store and headed to the station. We usually dont have a lot of people around during the day because everyone is at work.
When we got on scene we had a van that had gone off the freeway and across the water on the opposite side of the canal. 
The canal is about 3+ feet deep. Its got really soft sticky mud on the bottom of it where you will usually sink another foot or two. This is not the first time we've ever had to get in this canal and Im sure it wont be the last!
Of course I cant show you the cool pictures of us getting her out of the car... HIPAA and all.. but here are some others
 This is after we got her across the ladder. We had to wait for the tow truck driver to get back across to hook the truck and we had to get some of her property out of the van that she needed before it was drug across the water and out of the ditch.
I only had about 2 feet of mud INSIDE my turn out boots at this point. It was warm in the water but cold once we got out!

 She was very lucky and not injured!


 We were a muddy mess when we got back to the station. Now remember we were in cold canal water during a blizzard... and we have to rinse ourselves off with a hose now.
 My turnouts at the station
 and this is when I took them off. I had to be hosed off good outside.
 Dumping water out of my boot
 We washed our turn out pants twice... I had to hose out my boots and then take them home to put on a boot dryer. Thankfully I always keep a spare pair of socks at the station just in case... I spent the rest of the day back and forth from the station to my house rewashing our pants and drying them in the dryer!

No comments: