Sunday, April 26, 2015

Washing Engine, LifeFlight, LifeFlight and Baby Chicks

This week was the final week of class woo hoo!! Which meant two things... 1-I was almost done and my nights were almost free and 2- I had a hell of a lot of studying to do! Monday nights class was on HazMat  (Im already Operations certified) so it was just a good refresher.
Tuesday night for drill we washed the engine since that nasty dirty rain had got it filthy. Cooper was having a little too much fun. We were laughing so hard. He was so excited to get to spray the engine. Chris being the fun hater and tellin him he can only spray the engine not people.


Tuesday night I was on a ride along with OFD at Station 4 again to finish up my ride alongs for class. We werent getting shit for calls. I had been at the station almost 3 hours with nothing when I started getting texts to see if I was responding on the capsized boat/ water rescue at the bay. Chris told me he was on the way there from Farr West. So to rub it in a little more some people sent me some picts. They brought in a helicopter too. (again this is after the patient is cared for and hes in the bird)

 This was my favorite one. Kennedy was with Chris and he went POV since he was right close and would have had to pass the call to head to the station and come back. Grandpa Todd was running command at the squad so they had Kennedy go sit and wait in the squad truck where they could see her and she would be safe. Only so many people were able to go out in the boat to rescue them the rest had to wait at the dock for them to get back and take care of the patients. She stood in the truck and watched it with binoculars. She thought it was the neatest thing in the world. The helicopter came in to land and flew over the squad. She went on and on about how awesome it was. The helicopter flew RIGHT OVER ME MOM! She already has wanted to be a firefighter for years and this just makes it even better for her.
Thursday I had had my big class final test. We have a quiz every day we came into class. We had 3 big block tests and a final test. We had to pass the class with an 80% to be recommended to go test with the state. I was nervous for the big final test because it can cove a lot of material! Our book for 3 months was 2,000 pages plus a work book and skills. I spent pretty much all day studying,
 We got to class and before we could take our test we had to have LifeFlight come in for a demonstration. 
 They landed the bird, let us go through it, sit in it if we wanted. Told us all about what they do, what they can do and answered any questions we had. They always are so nice and helpful! 

 We stopped in at Cal Ranch to get some chicken food.. that was a big mistake! Kennedy and I went straight back to the chickies. I had my heart set on getting two turkeys. I really want turkeys. Kennedy and I were giving Chris the eye and he caved.. but then we went on the other side of the display and found Cornish Cross Rocks... We had been talking about buying some for a while now.  Turkeys were 7.99 a piece  (which is actually good) and these little fuzzballs were 1.39 buy 2 get one free. Cornish Cross Rocks only live for about 10 weeks total. These guys were already about 2 weeks old. In those 10 weeks they eat and eat and eat and get HUGE. They are meat birds not laying egg birds. By 10 weeks they are from 5-8 lbs and you kill them then because if you keep letting them grow they get so fat and cant move. Which means they dont eat, cant walk etc. They taste SO good. Mom and Dad wanted 40 and we bought 10. We figured we would start small since you have to pluck them or have them plucked. We have room for 10 in our freezer not 40 ha! 
So heres 50 little fuzzballs in a box on the way home from the store.
 We made them a nice warm place with a tarp over the bottom to keep heat in for them in the new coop.
 We gave them double lights and they peep all day long. (there really is a lot more room for them than it looks in there. They have laying boxes they sleep in at night) They will only stay in this coop maybe 2 weeks and then they will be way too big and go into the other chicken coop.
 Saturday was my State practical test. I passed my written in class test with 141/150. I was really happy with that! I also passed my State Practical. All I have left to do is schedule my State written and pass. Then I will officially be an EMT. I also enrolled in my Advanced class that will start in Sept.
Saturday when I got home from testing Kennedy and I celebrated by having lunch together. Just us two. Chris was in the 2nd day of his Safety Officer class in Garland. K and I haven't got to spend a lot of time together. Ive been so busy between school and work and she is miss independent. She told me we wont have much time like this together over the summer because she will be very busy teaching Yoga classes but maybe she can take a day off once in a while to spend time with me...

No comments: