Thursday, October 4, 2012

Deer Hunt


Deer hunt this year we went up to the cabin
Left Tuesday after Chris got off work
Came back on Sunday
Dad came up Tuesday-Friday
Hunter came up Thursday-Sunday
and Grandpa Todd came up Sat-Sun
Opening morning we saw 2 NICE 4 points, about 4 2x2s, 2x3, 1x2 and half a million doe and fawns
Didnt take any shots opening morning
A lot of them weren't very close or able to get a good shot at
Some of them I passed up because, well, its opening day!!!
The next day the only bucks we saw was ONE small 2x2
That was it
I took a shot at a decent 2x2.. it was kind of a long shot for a muzzle loader.. 240 yards.. I missed
Hiked out this thick brush area and dad kicked up a big 2x2 and a 2x3.. 
One was running up the hill through the trees about 300 yards... I missed
And a few other shots that were a LONG ways out there
I know its a long shot for a muzz..but when you're watching the deer run off and over the ridge and know theres no chance of getting on him any closer I figured what the hell
Might as well aim high and take a shot instead of just watching it run away
Hail Mary's can happen
Dad left and no deer were bagged then
We did get some amazing sunsets/sunrises and wonderful scenery!!
We spent a good amount of time on four wheelers
The funny thing was the deer paid no mind to you if you were on a four wheeler or in a truck
But the second they saw a person standing there they were gone
Did some shooting
Some grouse hunting
Dad and Chris each got one
Lots and lots of glassing hills and looking around
We saw cow and bull elk, turkeys, antelope, a beaver, cow moose, bull moose, sat and listened to the elk bugle in the morning 
We ate and ate and ate
Consumed and entire large bowl of muddy buddies
And had some great family moments together!
Oh yeah and got a deer :)
Saturday night we were hunting and had kicked up a few deer
Nothing close at all
All long ways away
It was getting dark
Only about 45 minutes left to hunt
Kennedy and I were on one wheeler and Chris and Hunter were on another
There was one road we passed by several times but had never gone down
I asked Chris what was down there
He said nothing really just a few camp places
All the deer we kept seeing were moving DOWN and going low instead of higher where they should have been
I figured it would be an adventure and it looped around to another area I wanted to be just before dark
We headed down the trail
Chris and Hunter were a ways behind Kennedy and I 
I think he thought I was nuts for wanting to go down there 
Kennedy and I hadnt gone very far when there was something in the middle of the road at the crest of the hill
I asked Kennedy what is that?
She was silent
She knew
I thought it was just a doe but then it turned its head a tiny bit and I caught a glimmer of an antler
I stopped the four wheeler
Jumped off
Got my gun out of the scabber on the bike and kneeled down to shoot
Chris and Hunter are stopped a ways behind us at this point
I look back at them and then shoot
The deer ran about 30 yards and dropped
Kennedy was ecstatic!!
She was so so happy
Jumping up and down
Kept saying over and over you got one mom!! you shot him!
Chris was pretty happy too he gave me a big hug and was excited
The antlers arent super big but thats ok
It had a good size body so plenty of meat!
Chris gutted it and Kennedy and I helped
We came down hung the deer, spent the night and went back up on Saturday to spend the rest of the weekend until Sunday when we went home

No comments: