Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Week 49- Hunting Hunting and Hunting

Remember those cute adorable dance clothes I bought Kennedy just two months ago.. I bought her two sets and she only wears them ONCE a week for an hour... Shes already outgrown them and torn the tights to shreds. Dont mind her archery medal. She snuck it to school and wore it all day and at dance
Its the first week of December and we are still walking home from school with out needing jackets and on dry roads. This is just wrong! WE NEED SNOW!
 Santa got a make over. Hes rocking new lights and adorable painted bulbs
 He was super excited to get to meet up with the reindeer again
 Our week was crazy. We didnt do a whole lot but work and Chris started his official first week of school. In his first week he finished an entire semester and passed his test woo woo! Our weekend was busy. Friday night was the lights. Saturday morning was the tree getting and after we had gotten home it was time to go swan hunting with Dad. He wanted to take us out to Ogden Bay on the North run. There was a spot he used to hunt all the time and thats where the swans were supposed to be. We made it to the first parking lot and got all our gear on. We were getting ready to launch our boat when he started talking to some guys who said he couldnt get to the area we wanted off the north run, we had to access it off the 5600 s because there is a dike across there now. Their boats are small enough they just drag it up and over the dike but Chris's is too big. So we loaded everything up and ran to the further east north run to see what it looked like. There was a big concrete dam there.

 So we ran back to the other run we were just at and decided to launch and see what we found. It was almost 3 and the hunt for the day closes at 5. We pulled into the parking lot and Miss K was all excited to show me Chris showed her how to shock herself with the shock collar. She would put it on the buzz and shock her fingers and she thought it was hilarious. She wanted to be in charge of it for the day.
 We were getting loaded when I hear Dad start laughing. He had grabbed a set of waders out of the garage and ended up grabbing the wrong pair. He grabbed my old set that my moms wears. They were a little tight and the shoes were two sizes too small.  I rode with Dad in his boat with Grizz. Kennedy Todd and Chris rode in Chris's boat. We had a little race down the channel.
 You can tell who won. Dads boat is a lot shorter and a few hundred pounds less than Chris's.
 We found a nice big open cove and set out duck, goose and swan decoys. It would be the perfect bad weather spot... except we were in good weather. It was 55 degrees. We were sweating in hoodies and were getting sunburned. Thats horrible duck hunting conditions. 

 I let Miss K put on her own make up. I wish I would have gotten a picture. She had a black beard
 Nothing flew at all. NOTHING. We didnt fire a single shot!! We still had fun though. 
When we got home it was time to decorate the tree. I wanted to keep it simple and cute this year. I didnt trim any of the branches into uniformity. I liked the rustic look of it.
 All of the ornaments on the tree were hunting ornaments and we put antlers on the branches too.
 Sunday morning we loaded up bright and early again and headed out for another round of duck/swan hunting. My swan tag ends next week so its a good excuse to go out more. I know Ive said this before but I absolutely LOVE the sunrises on the water. The skies are so vivid with color. Its beautiful.
 All this year Todd has shot the first duck. I told myself not today! It was game on. A set of 3 came directly into us. I smoked one and Chris and Todd missed the other 2. First duck in the boat! That ended up being our only duck. The skies have been so slow lately with all this warm weather. We need some bad weather!

 We got home from our first round of hunting and were getting ready to go out on our second. Kennedy went with Todd and Jana into town since Chris and I were going for a hike. Grandpa caved and took K to see Santa. He was asking her if she had been good... I think her face says it all
 Chris and I drove to Harold Crane to walk out along the dike. We heard the swans were in the bottom of there and werent sure how far we could take the boat so we chose to walk. He packed the bag with 6 swan decoys and 6 duck decoys. I packed the bag with all our shells and toilet paper. You know the important stuff! I love my pack mule of a husband. The things he does for me! 
 Did I mention its still 55 degrees outside!??
 We walked a good mile to a mile and a half in waders, carrying gear and guns to a spot that looked good. Which ended up being a place that would be PERFECT to drive the boat too.. sigh
 We sat there for a while. Chris napped. Nothing really was flying. A guy came pedaling down the dike on a bicycle going out hunting. We are sitting in the weeds on the side of the dike all camoed up with face paint. He comes to a screeching halt and says to me "Youre a Barton arent you!?" He is a fireman who used to work with my dad. We talked to him for a few minutes and he was on his way. 

It was dead. No birds coming close to us at all. The ducks were all sky high and far away. It officially closed at 5:00 that night. We had been sitting there since 1:30. Its now 4:45. I said to Chris we might as well start picking up the decoys. We havent even heard any swans let alone seen any. We picked up all them and walked back to the dike where our guns were sitting. We were just laughing and having fun when we turned around and a swan flew right past us. Right past where we had our decoys. The decoys are now in the bag. Our guns are empty. Its FIVE freaking minutes til close. It wasnt close enough to shoot but I almost guarantee it would have landed with our decoys! All we could do was laugh and shake our heads and start the walk back to the truck

No comments: