Sunday, March 1, 2015

2015 Golden Spike Classic Indoor 3d Shoot

Saturday was the big day we had been waiting for. Chris Kenendy and I made it out there about 8:30. The shoot opened at 9. We knew it was going to be a long day so we packed up a cooler and a bag full of stuff for Kennedy to do.
This is the warm up area. You get two practice shots at the bags against the wall at 20 yards. After those two shots you move into target 1. Each little yellow marker is a target station.
 These guys were the first groups through. One thing about these shoots and archery you get such a diverse group of people, skill level and bows. I love it! We had 3 year olds shooting little compounds, people in their late 70's shooting recurves, teenagers with recurves and compounds, pregnant ladies shooting, pro shooters, sponsored shooters, novices and about every variety in between! Archery really is a sport for all ages and athletic abilities.
 During the shoot there are line judges. Their the ones in the bright vests. We have 3 who have paddles and a 4th who oversees everything just in case they miss something. Their job is to make sure everyone has stopped shooting before you go get your arrows and to make sure everyone safely made it across the line to be off the range to shoot again. Its a tricky job. People go behind dirt mounds or the plywood to retrieve arrows, some people stand back from the line while they shoot and it makes it hard to see if they're shooting or not. You also have to make sure no ones hi drawing and being safe. They also keep an eye on the targets, replace the stickers and can be a scoring judge if anyone has shots their not sure about.
 Usually most of us trade off jobs all day long and give everyone brakes. I ran the line whistle, helped at the registration booth, was a line judge, food runner, potty break reliever etc. Everyone has to help!
Mom and Jana did a great job holding down the fort at registration.
 Bow Snob and Intermountain Hydrographics table
 Relentless Archery

 Our raffle prize table
 Dad and Chris running the line whistle and announcers stand
 Todd and Wayne being line judges


 After helping most the day it was our turn to shoot. The course takes right around 2 1/2- 3 hours to shoot depending on how fast the lines moving. You shoot two arrows at each station and there are 25 stations. Shooting groups are limited to 4 people with two of the people shooting at the same time. You have two option when you register. You can shoot just for fun and dont turn in a score or you can money shoot where you shoot for competition. Chris, Todd and I all money shot. Kennedy fun shot.

 Miss K rocked it!!! She did so good! She is improving so much each time she shoots. She is only shooting 7lbs so a lot of her arrows wont stick into the target. We watched where they hit at and scored her like they stuck.

 She shot with me once or twice but mostly wanted to shoot with Chris
They make the kids targets closer than the adult ones.
 Kennedy and her 12!

 I caught Todds arrow in flight. If you look right above the turkeys you can see a white streak. Thats his arrow.

 We dont ever have any fun at all doing these things. He hit the 12 ring
 I started off shooting rough. I couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong but my arrows kept dropping. I shot several 0's. Im not an amazing archer but usually zeros dont happen that often for me. I knew my bow was sighted in a few weeks ago and thought I was just having a bad day. About target 8 I remembered I had a new stabilizer put on that was heavier than my other one. We took the weights off so it was about the same weight as my other one and guess what I stopped shooting zeros adn started shooting a lot better. If only I would have remembered in the start being in the money round! 
My first 12 on the bedded elk after I took off my weights.

 I love this picture. They both released at the same time and look at her form!!! We have been trying to get her to understand that when you let your arrow go you have to keep your bow up and straight still just like before you let it go and shes getting it!
 I have a problem. I cant shoot 30 yards. I can shoot 20, 40, 50 and 60 no problem. But anything in the 30 yard range I seriously struggle with for some reason. I was missing the orange dots at 37 yards but had no problem hitting this one at 53 yards!

Since Chris got shot he has maybe shot 6 arrows total. He hasnt been able to hold his bow arm up. He wasnt sure if he was going to shoot this shoot or not. He decided he might as well give it a try Friday night but was only going to shoot the fun shoot. Then Saturday afternoon he decided what the hell he was going to go big and shoot the money round. HE SHOT AWESOME! More importantly he made it through the entire 50 shots plus a few extra! I was so proud of him! Here is the only 12 he would let me take a picture of.
 Rylee and Derek came out for a little bit. She was dying to shoot her bow. She loves shooting at animals with her little suction cup arrows.
.



 Mom and Dad shooting
 The hubs and I
Chris and Todd shot really good! Chris shot a 504 and Todd a 502. I shot really great my 2nd half lol! My total score was a 442. Miss K didnt shoot all 50 because there werent that many targets for her to be able to shoot but she shot a 152/432.

After the main course they have an optional novelty shoot. There are two metal saw blades set up with holes in the middle. The holes in each blade are different angles and sizes. The final target is at 29 1/2 yards. You have to shoot through the first blade hole and into the 2nd blade hole which is lower and a different size and into the bag. If you hit the blade at all it will destroy your arrow.. which ranges anywhere form $7-18 dollars depending on what your shooting.
Its a dollar a shot. If you make it through the hole you get 5 extra tickets. The tickets go to a nice $300 sight.
Todd was up first. His first two arrows sailed perfectly through it.
His 3rd arrow CLANK!
Chris shot 2 arrows at the blade and both CLANK.
He shot the rest of his shots on the clay pigeons

 Next it was my turn. My first two arrows CLANK. My 3rd one through both targets. My 4th one made it through the first hole and hit barely on the 2nd hole and my 5th one sailed through perfectly.


At this point Todd and I were tied. We both had 2 out of 5 make it through so we had to have a winner. We went to a clay pigeon shoot off so we didnt destroy any more arrows. Best out of two. We tied. So we went best out of 1. We tied. Finally on the last shoot off he hit first and I missed. He won! 
We had so much fun shooting! After we were done we went back to work and finished up the night around 8:30. We had about 240 shooters just on Saturday!


No comments: