Sunday, March 8, 2015

Gypsy's car accident.

Monday afternoon I came home sick from work. I had that nasty sinus bug that was kicking my butt! I checked on the dogs in the backyard like I do every time I come home, started a fire, took some Nyquil and went to sleep! A little while later in the middle of my fabulous drug induce coma Chris called and said someone had posted a dog on Facebook that was in their yard that looked like one of ours. UGH. I went out to check and sure enough Gypsy was gone and there was a big hole dug in her kennel. We used to have her in with Rue but she dug out of her kennel too easy so we put her in with Shooter. She liked being in with him and hadn't dug out of there in the last while.  The people who posted her are just across the highway from us. I got in the car and headed over there. Right before I got to her, like 30 seconds before, she got hit by a car. It was a good thing I drove across the highway because now she was hurt and somehow had taken off her collar also. I put her in the car and took her home to look her over. Her back leg was a little cut up and it looked like her pelvis might have been broken. Her right back leg was dangling funny. Mom and I decided to take her to the vet to see if it was broken or what had happened. Gypsy is half my dads and half Chris's dog. Of course both of them were at work. 
She is a tiny dog. She looks like she never eats! She has a kennel with an automatic hopper and still is so small for being 9 months. We keep hoping she will bulk up soon! She was bought to be a breed dog so we were really concerned on whether her hip/pelvis area was broken or if it was just out of socket. 
 After a quick xray they showed us that her hip was dislocated.  The tendon wasnt broke and he didnt see any fractures anywhere in her pelvis region or in her leg. We have no idea how fast the car was going that hit her they didnt stop. Its just a lucky thing she is so small or it could have been worse!
 They told us they needed to keep her for a while and sedate her to pop her hip back in. We left and they said they would call when she was done. After an hour or so we hadnt heard from them and Chris was home. We had to run into town anyways so we stopped to visit her. They said they needed to wait until her shock wore off before they could sedate her.
 They finally got to her later that night and she spent the night at the vets. We picked her up that next afternooon. She has staples in her one leg and has to keep the other wrapped up like this for 3 weeks. They said it needs to stay dry so she gets to live inside for a while. She hates being inside! We let her out when we go outside and she runs around great on 3 legs.
 She has been getting a lot of extra loving though! I found Miss K singing her a song and cuddling her before school on Thursday

1 comment:

The Triplett Family said...

Awe, poor thing. What a job that would be to hop around on 3 legs for weeks. Hope she heals quickly!