Sunday, March 15, 2015

Grouse Creek Burn- Double Cone Ranch

This weekend Chris was spending time down at his moms helping her with some yard work. Kennedy and I were going to go down Saturday morning but I got a call that they needed another person to fill a truck to go out to Grouse Creek for a prescribed burn so Miss K headed down to Taylorsville with Ash and Derek to meet Chris. It worked out great since he was on call for work and couldnt go play anyways. Him, Kennedy, Derek, Ash, Ry and Briggs all spent the night down there Friday night. I was left home alone!
Todd and I headed out at 530 Saturday morning to start the two hour plus treck to Grouse Creek. We had our briefing meeting and then went out to burn our areas. This time instead of a bunch of little piles to burn all over we had a lot of HUGE piles and windrowed piles.
The deer sat on the hill watching us.
 We lit the test fire to see how everything was going to burn and how the winds were acting.
 From there on it was go time. The RH (relative humidity) was in the mid 30's when we started. Everything burned well but stayed contained. As the temps got higher the RH dropped a lot and we got some super hot fires.
I was still a white girl in this pict... about another hour later you would have thought I was black!
  We packed hobo dinners for lunch the night before and decided to make an extra one just in case. Rilee was assigned to our group once we got there and her lunch was clear back in her truck so it worked out perfect. She was spoiled with us.
Cooking lunch
 Burger, onions, potatoes and carrots all seasoned up and some steak sauce added. Perfect!


 After a quick lunch break it was back to more lighting fires. We had a lot of winds that were anywhere from steady 2 mphs to gusts of 9 mph. Rilee taught me how to take weather and we took turns giving a weather report every hour.
 Todd and Rilee lighting


 Measuring winds
 Spinning to get temperature and the RH

 We put a A LOT of fire on the ground. We were busy and going all day long.
 T-dad and I
 Andrew, Rilee and me
You can tell we didnt have an ounce of fun!!!

This is my badass look.. just kidding I didnt know she was taking the picture!




By the end of the day we were FILTHY and tired. I scrubbed my hands at least 4 times and they are still black. It was a lot of fun though and the burn went great! We got home about 1030 that night.

No comments: