Saturday, May 12, 2012

Beaver Turkey Hunting Trip

On Tuesday afternoon Dad Kennedy and I headed to Beaver for some turkey hunting
We got a late start because I had a few things I needed to do before we left
We got there just about dark and made camp
woke up nice and early the next morning 5 am to go out
My little monkey having some breakfast in the truck all camo'd up
She had a little bit of a rough morning and some mom clingy moments but she got better as the trip went on
Grandpa and Kennedy hiking out
She took a little time to really figure out being quiet and I still don't know if she got it
She loved this rock pile
We did a lot of shooting at camp
Kennedy shot my .22 pistol (with help of course)
She killed a cup and was so excited!!
Don't worry pistols empty, clips out, slides open before she had her picture taken
Had to show off what she hit!
We explored a lot of areas around where we were at
Found this old mine shaft
Unfortunately it was gated off
It would have been so neat to go inside!
There were a ton of mines all around there
The old rail trusses right outside of the mine
Dad waiting for birds
Kennedy got tired waiting so I made her a bed out of my coat and filled her hat with treats for her
Kennedy was a hiking fool!!!!
I bet she walked a good 3-5 miles a day
We would hike in the morning for a few hours
go back and have breakfast, we'd go for a walk, take a nap, go out hunting for the night, come back have dinner and go for another hike
Grandpa would carry Kennedy over each of the streams/rivers we had to cross
The skies and sunsets were absolutely gorgeous!
We did a little bit of road hunting in one area trying to find anything
Grandpa and Kennedy
way down below is camp!
We saw a bunch of rabbits, squirrels, rattlesnakes, deer, and an elk
We did see some turkeys too
A lot of hens
some toms clear across a ravine
and we did hear them talking a lot too

On our nightly hike
She doesn't look like shes having any fun does she
The last day there my dad hit a turkey
about 20 yards 3 1/2 inch shell
dropped the bird
He hiked up to it and it was gone!
Dad searched the area for a while
Kennedy and I were off hiking in a different spot
Probably 30 min or so later we met up with him and headed back down
We decided to check one more time the area the bird was hit in
Kennedy sat at the base of the hill and watched our packs
Dad and I climbed straight up to the spot the bird was at
Found tail feathers, wing feathers, breast feathers, blood
no turkey
We tracked that sucker for over 2 hours
Over 2 miles
and were close
had a fresh fresh blood trail
like still running fresh and a lot of blood and feathers
We tracked it til the trail ended and circled all over all around where it ended looking for more
couldn't find a dang thing!

Kennedy was cracking me up
She said "Mom I found blood! I'm the best little blood finder ever!"
I know that may sound strange and morbid to those of you who don't hunt but let me explain
I was very proud of her
She took the time to look around her surroundings and pay attention
to notice things that were out of place from normal surroundings and very small
She also did a good job at recognizing deer and elk tracks
We had a good trip
No turkeys to bring home though
Kennedy had a blast and kept saying this hunting stuff is so fun mom!
Grandpa and Kennedy had some bonding time also
As we packed up camp and were pulling the trailer out a hen turkey ran across the road in front of us
Just to tease us
We checked all around and couldn't find a tom or a jake :(
Yes there is a turkey in this picture

No comments: