Friday, May 4, 2012

Moving cows

This weekend I had an opportunity to do something I havent done in a LONG time
I realized it has been TEN years since Ive done this!!!!!
TEN YEARS!
I all of a sudden felt very old
I was able to go help my second dad and brother from another mother move cows
I used to spend every weekend out with them at the Fort Ranch in promotory when I was a Sophomore an Junior
This drive was a little shorter just to Corinne but still nice!
I havent even ridden a horse in quite a while
It took me a minute to remember how to keep my butt down in the saddle at different speeds
but man loping across a field just made me smile
Travis let me ride his blue roan named Blue
He was such a good horse
Me and Blue
The skies were really over cast
We had to go into a field and gather up a buch of pairs (moms and babies)
Cut out about 30 pairs to leave in one field and move the rest into another pen
The moms have to stay paired up with the calves
We got the two piles seperated and had a calf jump through one of the fences and take back off with the other cows
Cassidy and I gathered up the group and slowly started heading them towards the gate
The cowboss Joe, Travis and Jon went to cut the calf out of the group and bring it back
Cassidy kept our group bunched and watched the fun
The spunky calf was running all over the place
Ended up jumping through another fence and into another field and took off
They finally got him brought back around and joined back up with his mom
Cassidy and Joe M.
We took the herd we had and bunched them into a smaller holding pen
Had another calf jump out of the fence and they had to get him back with his mom
Travis
Jon
After that we opened the gates and pushed them all out down the road
There were several 'holes' aka spots they can escape wether its through a fence, or down the road, into a yard etc
We were taking them out into the open, down a dirt road, down a paved road, around a corner, down a dirt road seperating a field on each side that we had to keep the cows out of and into another pasture
5 of us on horses
a few people blocking intersections wtih trucks
Joe lead the way
Cassidy flanked one side and tried to block some holes
Travis, Jon and I brought up the rear
We had one calf escape
The same one that escaped earlier
He jumped through a hole and into a pen with a bunch of other pairs

Travis and Jon
After they were pushed into the last pen they needed to be in we had to hold the herd together while they cut out pairs
Needed to make sure everything was paired up
It started raining for a few minutes at this point
They were all accounted for minus our one escapee
We rode back to the pen where he hid at
Travis roped him
Then Jon and to 'throw' him down and re position the rope so it didnt hurt him
Then he was led out to the horse trailer where he was taken back down to his momma
Me, Jon and Travis
I realized after all those years working and riding together there were NO pictures of it really or of us all together so I tried to make up for lost time this go round!

My ass hurts and I love it haha!
Its been way too long and it feels good to be back out riding again

No comments: