Monday, September 28, 2015

IV night

The big thing about being an Advanced that sets you apart from being a Basic EMT is the ability to start IVs (and pushing more drugs)
We did IV practice Thursday night in class.
I got 4 out of 5 of my sticks. 
My veins suck to hit. I had 6 different sticks and only 1 hit the vein. They are thin and really squiggly and branch out in lots of different little veins instead of being in one big main vein. I had Tricia so frustrated by the time the night was over. Shes a phelbotomist and couldnt hit my veins to save her. In her defence both my ac's were already hit in each arm so she had to take higher or lower ones.
Tricia trying to stick my arm. Yeah I took it while she was doing it.
I did get some good ones of Tiffany getting a hand stick on Tricia.
You start at a 45 degree angle holding traction on the vein.. then poke in just far enough to cover the bevel
 and wait for the almighty blood flash you can see by her fingers. That means youre in the vein.
 Then you advance the catheter and remove the needle
and hold it closed cause they're gonna start bleeding all over

No comments: