Monday, October 28, 2013

Evening duck hunt

Friday morning Chris had to guide a pheasant hunt up at the club. When he got home we packed up everything to go out for our first evening duck hunt. We headed to the bird refuge this time to see how the water was. So many places were dried up! I couldnt believe it. We really need a good hard winter this year. Normally this place is so full of water and there is a canal that runs along the side of the road here.. its dry!
 Peanut finally got to use her waders and she was SO excited!! The whole fact she could walk in water and not get wet thrilled her... that is until she fell over backwards at the boat ramp and filled her waders full of water ha! She was soaked but thankfully it was WARM
There were a ton of coots in the water so we headed a little further north and found a spot to stop
 We set out the decoys
 Kennedy kept an eye on the puppies in the boat


 We were all set and waited.. and waited.. and waited...
The mosquitos here absolutely horrible out there. I have never been swarmed by them while duck hunting! We normally have so much colder weather by now its crazy!

Chris fell asleep. Kennedy hid under the coats from the mosquitos. It was 64 degrees! We were so hot in all our waders. If it werent for getting bit I would have stripped down!
 NOTHING came in... well I take that back. We had coots galore. Stupid birds. We also had carp jumping all around us!  But no ducks came in at all.
 The second Chris got out of his chair Tank hopped in to keep it warm
 We packed up and went home empty handed. Mom made chicken noodle soup so we stopped in for dinner. This is one of my childhood favorite meals. She always made it over thick mashed potatoes. Chris looked at me like I'd lost my mind the first time he ate it like that lol! I didnt know most people didnt put it over mashed potatoes
 Miss Moo was spending the night with my mom so I got to cuddle her for a bit. This child cannot stay awake when I hold her. She always goes right to sleep

No comments: