Friday, January 13, 2012

Procession

I was not able to attend the graveside service
I had to go to work
But before I went to work I stopped by to see my Dad at 25th and Washington
He had told me they had set up something very special for when the procession was to come through
After leaving the funeral the procession route was PACKED with people lining the streets
I am not even exaggerating
People FILLED the sides of the roads
Lined the medians (the streets were shut down)
Holding and waving flags to pay tribute
They were waiting for hours outside in the cold just to pay their respects
I have to give a shout out to this incredible man
My Dad
He helped organize this entire amazing show of respect for a fallen officer
Most people don't know but firemen and cops don't always get along
A lot of times there is a little rivalry between them on whose really the tougher
It was so neat to see all that set aside to show respect
My friend Kerry works in the Administration for OFD
She dressed up in turnouts too
ALL of OFD was there
ALL their apparatus were also
Calls were being handled by other agencies
Riverdale, Brigham City, etc
There were other fire agencies there too with their trucks set up to honor

All law enforcement was also able to attend
We pretty much had NO local pd or deputies from any agency in Weber or Morgan County
Several agencies from Davis county, Box Elder, and the State of Utah or other sections or other local agencies VOLUNTEERED to fill in and handle so the officers could attend the funeral and be a part of the procession
They also VOLUNTEERED to cover Sunday when all of OPD was given the day off and also VOLUNTEERED to cover for the viewing

I stopped in to see what was set up and then had to go back to work before the procession actually began


This was set up at 2500 Washington to pass through
Each fireman was dressed in full turnouts
They lined the streets and stood there as the entire procession passed through
When the casket passed they saluted
They stood there for over an hour straight as can be to honor Francom
The entire thing was something that was hopefully a once in a life time experience
It was something that was amazing to be a part of
To have been here when the incident came in
to get to dispatch the Ogden Channel as the Final 10-42 was being put across
It was all around just something incredible
It was a horrible situation
He gave his life doing what he loved
Protecting and Serving
Its something I hope we never have to deal with again
BUT to see the huge amount of good
to see the closeness between agencies, dispatch, the community etc
the good in humanity that is still there to support those around us
It is something I will never forget in my lifetime