Sunday, December 23, 2012

Sick.. again...

Remember how a week or so ago Kennedy got sick..
Well she was on augmentin for 10 days and we thought we were good
She was off antibiotics for about 2-3 days when she went to Auntie 'Shas for the day
She was sick from the second she got there
Fever, cuddly, tummy ache, back ache, constant peeing and didnt want to go to school
I gave it a little bit of time and she wasn't doing any better so I called the drs office and the only time they could get me in was during work
So I left work early and took peanut back to the drs office
When I got to Elyshas house this is what I found
She was asleep curled up in the chair sleeping and fevered
Took her home, put some comfy clothes on and headed to Ogden
The single tear in this picture just breaks my heart!!!
We met with the dr.. not her normal one but the only one in the office they could get me into
Kennedy was urinating so much we couldnt even make it from Elyshas to the drs office with out having to stop. So while we were there I'd gotten her a water to chug because I knew she'd have to do a urine test again.
The dr checked her out.. high bp, high heart rate (169), fever 101, back pain tender to touch, lots of pain around her belly button tender to touch, headache, and mouth pain. She looked at her tonsils and said they were huge and red also.. swabbed for strep and thankfully it came back negative
The dr and I got into a good disagreement at this point. She kept telling me Kennedy didnt have a UTI because not much was showing in her urine sample. I just KNEW she did. Mom intuition.. plus we've been down this road 3 times prior. She kept telling me she just had a virus and it was going around.. which I could see for the tummy ache, swollen tonsils.. but the back pain, fever, high heart rate, constant urination (like every 45 minutes) and lethargy are SO how she is with a UTI
Plus her urine they tested was not very old and not very much of it because she had peed right before then
The dr told me that her urine looked good but they would do a more extensive test on it for bacteria. We would hear back from them in 24-48 hours with results and she didn't want to put her on antibiotics because she was sure it was a virus..
This was Kennedy waiting for the results of her strep test
Peanut couldnt even stay sitting up :(
I had a date with my Dad that night for his work banquet and cancelled on him
I told him I didnt doubt she had a virus but she had an infection on top of that too and how I disagreed with the drs and what should I do
He told me just be patient and see what the urine test said.. well it was about 3 hours and the doctor called back
Said they didnt see any bacteria.. BUT her blood cell count was very abnormal..
White count was over 30
Red was over 28
I said whats normal?
She said under 5
That there was obviously an infection and she wanted to start her on antibiotics IMMEDIATELY TONIGHT
So poor peanut had a virus and a bladder infection!!!
We started her on a new antibiotic.. Omnicef and we will see if it kills those nasty germs this time

I had already used so much sick leave at work this month between us getting the death flu in our house, Rees passing away and Kennedy getting sick
JaNeale asked if it would be ok if she took the next day, Wednesday, off and came to babysit Kennedy
Heck yes!
She came up that night and the next day was spent with Kennedy fevered, puking, and watching movies
Wednesday is my Friday for the week so that was the last day I had to work to get through the week
I dont know who enjoyed cuddling on the couch more Grandma or Kennedy!?

No comments: