Sunday, November 24, 2013

325-Thursdays Adventure

Wednesday afternoon I got a text from Chris while we were working that said "we need to talk" Ha those are never good. His good friends own an construction company and are swamped with work. They really needed him to go help them with a project this weekend.... In Bozeman Montana.. He was worried I would care lol! They need his help and he needed to leave from Thursday as soon as he got off work until Sunday night. So the whole weekend. One weekend that I have all 3 days off and we were supposed to put our fireplace in. Luckily he married a woman who understands and wasnt upset. I told him have fun and enjoy. All I cared is he got paid for his time and behaved himself. Thursday while he was at work I made some jerky
Mom and Dad took Kennedy and I to lunch at The Grille in Tremonton. He spends a lot of time for the Fire Marshall job in Tremonton and out further so he has been eating a lot out there and trying new restaurants. He told us this one was really good so we all went for lunch. The food WAS really good! A must try. 
After that we went to Alco and shopped. Went to Shopko. Picked up Kinlie from school. Then K and I went home. Chris already had his bags packed. He called me on his way home and said the guy who he was supposed to ride with's (one of the owners)transmission went out that morning so he needed to drive. He got home. Showered. Put his bags in his truck, kissed his girls goodbye and left. It was just after 5. They were all driving to Island Park to spend the night at the cabin and then head to Bozeman by 7 in the morning. Kennedy made her Thanksgiving project.
Then we went up to the archery range that night. I had been telling my dad about the issues I was having. I was pretty much consistently staying one arrow high. One centerish and one low. I also was using new arrows this season. They have feathers instead of plastic veins and they are helical (meaning they have a curve in the feather when they are glued on) instead of the straight fletched ones I had been using. Feathers are less forgiving for error vs plastic veins. AND some bows just dont like helical ones and they shoot better with straight fletchings. There are so many little things in shooting that can affect it. The new arrows I was shooting were also fatter. They are an indoor target arrow not a smaller outdoor one. All these things including changing my string can factor into how my arrows shoot. Monday night I had gone back to my old thinner arrows that I shot last year and was getting a little better group but not like I was before. All these things I was explaining to him and he said it just didnt make sense because my bow was tuned for the thicker arrows and they should be the ones flying better. SO when we got to the range he said let me see your bow I will shoot it and figure out what the heck. He took it down to the line and as he was walking down there he realized my arrow rest was loose.
This is an arrow rest. Your arrow sits between the circle part and when you draw your string back the arrow rest goes back and flat. When the string is released it flies forward.. so with it being loose it moves all over the place. When my arrow was being released into flight it was hitting it and throwing it off... of all the things!
I shot so much better. Not amazingly but really good considering where I had been!. My group (even though I dropped a few arrows) was ten times better than it had been. . I shot a 240. I feel MUCH MUCH MUCH better now ha! Now that its all taken care of I can focus on bringing in my group instead of just hoping I keep it on the paper!
Chris text me about 1030 that night, they had made it to Island Park.. he also sent me a picture of how effing cold it was there!

No comments: