Thursday, May 21, 2015

50 fatty patties and 1 less turken

Yesterday I was fixing dinner when I glanced out back and saw Rue running around in the backyard. I hadn't let her out and was trying to figure what she was doing out when I saw her playing with something in the grass. Then I saw it had feathers. It was the turken.
Not long ago my mom bought a turken, a turkey chicken cross. It was picking on the baby turkeys so she brought it to our house and put it in with the fatty patties. She named the turken Tarzan. They dont get feathers on their necks, backs or armpits.
Heres an example from Google

I went to see what had happened. Rue had OPENED her kennel and forced her way through the bottom layer of the chicken coop. Every where else has double wire but the bottom. You can see the two huge holes from her going into the pens. 
Not a single Cornish x had a scratch on it. Neither did the turken. I think she just carried it around in her mouth til it had a heart attack or she played with it too much. Normally dogs will tear birds apart. She just wanted to play and carried him.
We were really lucky to only lose the turken out of 51 birds in that pen!

The fatty patties as I call them are getting huge. They just eat and eat and eat. They have little cankles. Half the time they are too lazy to even stand and eat and lay right at the feeders. We have 25 in one side and 25 in the other.

We animal proofed the back side of the coop. I will have to paint it to match but now nothing should be able to get in!

No comments: