Wednesday, May 20, 2015

First real turkey hunt of the season

Tuesday after work I gave myself two options
#1 go to the gym
#2 go hiking/turkey hunting
I think we know which option won!
From all the crazy rain we had my feet and legs were soaked with in seconds of walking. I hiked to the top of a pretty steep inclined hill. I saw some turkey poop. With all the rain though it makes it really hard to find scratch piles and feathers
I sat and called for a little bit and wasnt getting any answer. I didnt think I would. I figured my best chance of finding a bird was to be out walking around and catching them drying off in the open. It was still pretty over cast and threatening to rain again
I took the new girl out. I was debating between my bow or new shotgun and decided with where I was going shotgun was going to be the winner.
About 10 minutes after I left one spot I hiked down to another little clearing and hid in the trees to see if anything came out in the open. Above me where I had just walked from out walks a hen across the hillside. I watched her walk down to the trees that I had just left. Nothing followed her. I did get a pict of her through my binos though
 Deer were out everywhere!
There are two in the bottom left of this pict
 and 3 in the bottom center of this one
 I had sore legs, soaking feet and pants, no dead birds and I cant wait to go out again!

No comments: