Friday, June 21, 2013

Day 171- Fire and Water

I feel like this whole last few weeks all I have done is work, sleep and be busy.. if you arent at those three places I dont see you or seem to have time to visit!
Works been pretty busy lately too
Today I got off at 0400
Crawled into bed at 0420
Chris's alarm went off at 0430
Snoozed it for 15 minutes worth
Woke up when he kissed me goodbye at 0500
Slept
Woke up at 0830 when my mom text me
Got up and got ready for swim lessons
Was there by 0930
Mom brought treats since it was the last day
Chips, salsa, pickles, cheese, olives and cupcakes for the kids
Grandma Gigi and Grandpa Doug came to watch Parker
This was Kinlie and Parkers last class
I had signed Kenned up for two sessions so she still goes the next two weeks also
After the learning part is over for the last 10 minutes they turn on the sprayers and get the toys out for a little party
They also hand out popsicles
Klint was starving
He'd only just ate before he got there and had to have a popsicle, some chips, some cheese and a lot of olives
he reclined in my lap like I was a chair and was content
After class I went home fed the child and fell asleep about 1130
Next thing I know I wake up in a complete PANIC at 130
(Normally I work 4 days a week but this week I worked an extra day and its SO throwing off my schedule!)
Oh no! Did I sleep in and miss swim lessons
Wait its Friday she doesnt have swim lessons today
No is it Thursday ?? Oh no I slept in and missed class!
Wait?? She just had her last day of swim lessons yesterday and got her paper to prove it..but why did she finish up on Wednesday when I paid for 4 days not 3?? So it must be Friday.. then I missed my massage with Jana..
Oh hell it is Thursday cause I have training for work tonight and she did miss swim class!
Then the realization finally hit me
Its Thursday
We already went to swim class
I took a NAP not went to bed for the day
It seriously took my exhausted sleepy brain to figure out what the heck
So after that adventure, I got ready for worked, dropped off Kennedy and headed to the training tower
One thing about Ogden Fire.. they are pretty awesome at including us (dispatchers) in their trainings
They have been doing scenario and mayday trainings this last week and have cycled dispatchers through there in two hour blocks
They set up a training scenario
Tell us what it is
Put us in the truck so we have a/c and can watch whats going on while running the radio
We send them to a call
In this case its a car fire threatening structure
They arrive on scene 
Put out the fire
Little do they know there is a sneaky fireman running around inside
He lights a pile on fire inside the building..now the car fire has spread to the structure 
So they pack up and head inside
Now again this is to create some crazy but very real things
So they put the fire out inside
There is a smoke machine running to create a lot of smoke and as thats happening they light another fire in the middle of the stair case above them
As they are transitioning from one stair well to the one above them there is a 'collapse' that they arent aware of as another fireman puts a clamp on their hose so as they go to put out the fire they have no water and learn there has been a structural collapse which has 'kinked' their line 
 THEN the sneaky fireman who is lighting these fires grabs one of the fireman and pulls him into a room behind a closed door
Now he's 'lost' and has to wait in there with the sneaky one
So now there is smoke coming from the top of the building
Have a lost fireman
Have a structural collapse
They call a mayday and give their reports
The idea with the mayday practice is to become so familiar using it that IF it ever happens it goes smoother.. you know what to do .. what to say..whats needed
They send the RIT team to go find them
Because while you have a lost/trapped firemen you still have work to do and a fire to put out so you cant just stop everything and everyone go search so more lives arent put in danger

Oh look another fireman who got separated from his team was able to flag down units on the ground and self extricate
All the firemen were found safe and sound
Afterwards they sit and have a review time to go over what went right, what could be improved on or handled differently
They all did pretty well on this!
I love getting to go to their trainings and think its SO valuable to dispatchers, especially ones who really dont know much about the fire service or haven't spent much time around it!
I think the more understanding you have of what the others (police and firemen) are doing the better you can work together for a more productive outcome

1 comment:

The Triplett Family said...

I love when you post stuff like this. I always learn so much and think it's so interesting.