Friday, March 1, 2013

Day 54-First Indoor 3D Archery Shoot

Saturday morning was the big Golden Spike shoot hosted by the Brigham Bowmen
Mom, Dad, Chris, Todd  and everyone spent all day long Friday setting up for the shoot
They had about 150 donated Christmas trees that had been collected that needed to be set up, targets and everything else

Now this here is a family deal
Not only is a great family environment where they encourage your whole family to come, and kids to shoot, and wives and have boutiques set up...
There was also my dad, my mom, my mother and father in law, sister and brother in law, grandma and grandpa in law, my sisters were there, my brother from another mother, my sisters mother in law had a boutique set up


They were all set for Saturday morning to come
Well it brought a BLIZZARD
Chris was sure he was going to get called into work.. and he was
This is about 5 minutes after he left his parking stall..its hard to tell but it really was coming down hard

This is less than 1 hours worth of snow
Kennedy and I hung out around with Chris waiting for him to be called into work to plow
After he was called we headed out to the shoot
We were all going to go out but didnt want to get to Tremonton and have him have to turn around and leave
I had never shot a 3D shoot before
This was only my second tournament shoot ever
Todd, Ashley and I all shot together and they helped me through it
First you start at some warm up targets
There are different targets set up all over the range and you are shooting at different yardages, different angles and across the arena at some point
AND not only was this my first shoot, I had never shot my bow at anything other than 20 yards
This has targets anywhere from right at your feet, 16 yards, 43 yards, and the furthest 60 yards
Each place is numbered and shows you how many yards it is.. Like see that big bull elk way at the end, you actually shoot that at 60 yards standing up on a hill and are shooting clear across the arena
The targets dont go in order so you have all kinds of angles and directions you are shooting
All the little targets up front are for kids to shoot 
The way it works is the orange sticker is what you want to shoot
Its worth 12 points
The kill zone around the orange is worth 10 points
Anywhere on the body is 8 points and a miss is a 0
You have 25 stations and two shots per station for a total of 600 points
Ash and I decided to do the money shoot just for fun since there weren't hardly any girls who did it
We both shoot in different classes so we weren't even competing against each other
Todd
Ash
Me

Kennedy sat up in the announcer stand with Grandpa Corey and watched or she helped Grandma Jana and Great Grandma Kathy register people
Ash got her first 12
12's are kind of a big deal
Its a lot harder than you'd think

Here you can see this little guy shooting next to us
Thats the cool thing about the up close targets
The kids can shoot for $5 and walk right along with their parents
The kids targets are pretty much right in line with where you stand and are maybe at the most 8 yards out 

I did end up getting a few 12's myself
This one was super hard!
You are standing on a platform right above the fish and are shooting almost straight down
You actually have to aim between your 40 and 50 yard pins to hit the fish right below you


It actually was really really fun!!!
I ended up placing 4th
Out of 4 ha!
But my score was pretty close to the other girls
The first day I shot a 488 
The highest was a 536

No comments: